Dr. Myers explains how Gastric Bypass Works

Monday, September 20, 2010

Preparing to Perform Robotic Assisted Bariatric Surgery




Preparing to Perform Robotic Assisted Bariatric Surgery

My wife and I were at my parent’s home last weekend. Our conversation included my plan to begin performing robot assisted bariatric surgery. They asked a great question, “How have you been training to use the robot?”

I thought you might be interested in my response.



First, it is important to remember that I have been performing the Laparoscopic Roux en-Y Gastric bypass for over 7 years and have performed nearly 800 of these operations.

Second, I plan to begin by performing only a part of the operation using the robot.

Third, using new advanced technology to perform this operation is much like an experienced professional pilot training to use a new airplane to fly a familiar air route.

As you might imagine Riverside Methodist Hospital has a pathway each surgeon is required to complete to become credentialed to perform operations with the assistance of a robot. I have exceeded the requirements and followed the following 10 steps in the path to preparation:

1). Observed two operations performed by Dr. Michelle Toder in Bangor Maine in July 2010 and was very excited by the capability of this remarkable instrument.

2). Informed the hospital of my interest in robotic surgery

3). Reviewed about at least 8 hours of video of the operation performed using the robot

4). Observed an operation with Dr. Burges at Riverside

5). Completed an all day training session performing several operations with a certified instructor

6). Logged at least 8 hours of independent practice on the robot

7). Choreographed each step of the operation with the operation room staff during a mock operation

8). Received temporary privileges to perform robotic surgery from Riverside credentials committee

9). Obtained consent from the first 2 patients to perform their operations using the robot

10). Arranged for Dr Erick Wilson, a very experienced robotic surgeon from Houston, Texas, to be present in the operating room during the first two operations using the robot as my “proctor” or supervisor tomorrow, (9/14/2010)

Now I am ready to get started! Maybe I should watch “Top Gun” once again before we start the operations!

No comments:

Post a Comment