Dr. Myers explains how Gastric Bypass Works

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dr. Myers, how do patients that had a gastric bypass do several years after surgery? (Before and After Pictures)




Although it is clear patients lose alot of weight over the first year after having a gastric bypass, I was recently asked how patients do several years after surgery. I recently saw Twila at the time of a routine follow up visit and sh wanted to share her story with patients that are curious about the long term outcome after surgery. I follow our patients for life as long as they are willing to have our practice involved with there care. Each year we make sure they maintaining their weight at a reasonable level and to make sure their vitamin levels and other labs are normal. Twila is doing great and had encouraging lab results. This is what she wanted you to know:

"My name is Twila Senters and I had bariatric surgery Jan 16th 2005
I am doing great keeping my weight off, I started at 273lbs and I now weight 132lbs. I now have more energy, I dont come home and sit in my chair until bedtime now, I dont even have a chair now. I am always doing something, before surgery you could not get me out of the chair until bed time and the next day would be the same , work, home to chair and bed. and all of that has changed for the better. I never stay home if there is something to do, which there always is."

This result is not unusual for patients several years after surgery. In fact it is very unusual in our practice for patients not to do well long term. That is what this blog is really about. I am trying to share with everyone how they can obtain their very best result regardless of where they choose to have surgery. I believe the princilals we are sharing can help anyone be more sucessful. There is alot of noise and errors shared on the internet and although what I say others may disagree with, Our patients are doing extremely well and are very happy with their outcomes. This is not because I am a better surgeon. I believe it is the principals we teach our patients that meke the difference.
I just hope the effort I am making to share this will help more patients to do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment